[ note: please check Covid-19 restrictions for entrance (online reservations, face-masks, limited numbers, etc . . . ) ]
You have perhaps heard that saying ☔️ “ there’s no such thing as bad weather; just badly dressed people “ ? (I heard this several times on a couple of work trips to 🇮🇸 Iceland!) . . . that may well be, but even the strongest of resolves can be broken by days and days of 🌧 rainy weather in the mountains (especially when you can no longer actually see those beautiful mounains!). Yes, certainly, we can all just put on our waterproofs, but I don’t know too many small children that are happy to play in heavy ☔️ RAIN for days on end, even if they do enjoy splashing in puddles!
Several 🌧 RAINY DAYS in a row can hit us during any season here in the mountains . . . mountains are notoriously unpredictable and fickle like that!
So, I have put together this article so that you may have a go-to list of options for 🌧 RAINY DAYS 🏔 au Pays du Mont-Blanc. I understand that a 🌦 slight summer drizzle is different to ⛈ summer thunderstorms & lightning or 🍁 cold, torrential autumn or winter rain, so there are lots of options on this list, to deal with different types of seasonal rain!
When ☔️ RAIN hits at the weekend, the MBFF family first checks to see what the weather is like through the Mont-Blanc tunnel in 🇮🇹 Courmayeur or over in 🇨🇭 Switzerland (Geneva or Martigny). The sun can often be shining there, while it is pouring 🏔 au Pays du Mont-Blanc! But sometimes it is 🌧 raining EVERYWHERE in the proximity, and there are limits to how far one can go to escape the rain for a day!!! And on those days, we need some INDOOR OPTIONS!
[ ⇒ for ☔️ RAINY DAYS ideas for babies and toddlers see MBFF articles: 🌈 Baby & Toddler activities au Pays du Mont-Blanc and 🗓 Weekly Planner for Babies and Toddlers au Pays du Mont-Blanc ]
[ ⇒ for SOFTPLAY & INDOOR PLAY, see separate article here ]
Colour code for listings:
Chamonix Valley (Chamonix, Argentière, Les Houches, Servoz & Vallorcine)
Passy & environs
Sallanches, Combloux, Cordon & Domancy
St Gervais, Le Fayet, St Nicolas de Véroce & environs
Megève, Praz-sur-Arly & environs
Les Contamines & environs
🇫🇷 Further France 🇫🇷
🇨🇭 Switzerland 🇨🇭
🇮🇹 Italy 🇮🇹
ALL SEASON RAIN
Here is a list of lots of your 🌈 indoor options – sports centres, swimming pools, ice-skating, indoor climbing and tennis, médiathèques, cinemas, play centres, museums . . .
- 🎾 Centre Sportif Richard Bozon (Chamonix) – a huge complex with swimming, climbing, gym, and both indoor and outdoor tennis courts and squash courts available / see here for more details / tel (tennis): 04 50 53 28 40;
- 🎾 Tennis Les Iles (Argentière) – reserved for sporting clubs / tel: 04 50 54 09 59;
- 🎾 Tennis Club de Passy – both indoor and outdoor courts / see website for more details / address: 410 rue du Stade, 74190, Passy (not far from Mountain Store) / tel: 04 50 78 10 93;
- 🎾 Tennis & Squash Municipales & Tennis Club du Mont-Blanc (Sallanches) – outdoor courts and two indoor tennis and squash courts / opening hours: see here / address: 283 avenue Albert Gruffat, 74700, Sallanches / tel: 04 57 44 41 83;
- 🏹 Indoor Pétanque (boulodrome) & Archery (Sallanches) – see here;
- 🎾 Megève (Le Palais) – the largest indoor sports complex au Pays du Mont-Blanc, with: swimming & balnéo, spa, climbing, médiathèque . . . / tennis: with a terrain en Taraflex and ping-pong too / good to know: also, an indoor play centre, where you can leave the kids! / tel: 04 50 21 15 71;
We have several 💦 public swimming pools au Pays du Mont-Blanc . . . you’ll find baby pools in Chamonix (and also an indoor slide), Saint-Gervais and Megève (you’ll need to check opening hours, as these vary over the year):
- 💦 Chamonix (Centre Sportif Richard Bozon) – see here;
- 💦 Marlioz (Passy) – see here;
- 💦 Sallanches – NEW centre aquatique has just opened! /see here;
- 💦 Saint-Gervais-les-Bains – enjoy the artwork of 2KM3 artists while there ! / see here;
- 💦 Le Fayet (Parc Thermal) – being renovated;
- 💦 Megève (Le Palais) – see here;
Further afield, you have the 💦 bigger option of parcs aquatiques, with slides and other features:
- 🇫🇷 💦 Vitam Parc (Neydens, near St-Julien-en-Genevois) – see here;
- 🇫🇷 💦 Aquariaz (Avoriaz) – see here;
- 🇫🇷 🌊 La Vague (Grenoble) – indoor wave centre / see here;
- 🇨🇭💦 Aquaparc (Le Bouveret, Switzerland) – with seasonal activities, see here;
[ good to know – don’t forget swimming trunks (NO boxers!) for boys and men, else you’ll have to buy some! ]
A SPA DAY or THERMAL BATH day en famille
A 💦 thermal bath or spa day can be a lovely way to relax en famille, and you have superb (and larger) options in 🇨🇭 Switzerland, just past Martigny, where the whole family will be welcome. In a light drizzle, the outdoor baths would also be fine . . .
Here, 🏔 au Pays du Mont-Blanc, we have some smaller options for 💦 thermal springs and spas and children’s soins . . . but children often have to be 14+ years for entrance:
💦 QC Termes Chamonix – 14+ age entrance / recently open, 💦 QC Terme Chamonix Mont-Blanc (run by the same company that owns QC Terme Pré Saint-Didier in Italy) / features: pools, whirlpools, hydrojets, Vichy forest showers, salt room & halotherapy, saunas, steam baths, chromotherapy, a Japanese bath, a Kneipp path, relaxation rooms, an olfactory space / massages & treatments / check the website for more information . . . / address: promenade du Fori 480 ,74400, Chamonix-Mont-Blanc;
💦 Les Granges d’en Haut (Les Houches) – this is one of my favourite spas au Pays du Mont-Blanc: small, stunning views and friendly and professional staff! / it is run by 💦 Deep Nature and there is: an outdoor Finnish sauna and Nordic bath on the terrace, and indoors there is a small swimming pool, lounging chairs, hammams and sauna / good to know – there are also yoga and pilates classes held here / booking a massage or treatment allows you entry to the spa and pool; or you can simply purchase entrance to the spa and pool for 29€ / Deep Nature also offers a series of children’s soins / see website for more details / address: 1000 route des Chavants, 74310, Les Houches / tel: +33 (0)4 85 30 00 17;
💦 Résidence & Spa (Vallorcine) – the Spa du Mont-Blanc by Cinq Mondes is open to non-hotel visitors by reservation / there are also children’s soins available (children must be accompanied by an adult) / see website for more details / address: Résidence & SPA Vallorcine Mont-Blanc, Chef Lieu, 74660, Vallorcine / tel: +33 (0)4 50 54 75 20;
[ ⇒ see article: Chamonix Valley Spas & Massages for more ideas for spas in the Chamonix Valley ]
💦 Les Thermes de Saint-Gervais Mont-Blanc (Le Parc Thermal, Le Fayet) – NEWLY opened, after a 2 year renovation project by Loréal, these thermal baths are renowned for the curing properties of its thermal waters. On offer: a parcours through the spa facilities (with the brand new La Forêt sous la Pluie, massages, and their own products are for sale / for 13+ years / family option: « Accueil Famille » from 3 to 13 years on weekend mornings and Wednesday afternoons, AND « Maman Bébé Papa » – with a coach, exercises . . . (see here) / website / address: 355 allée du docteur Lépinay, Le Fayet, 74170, Saint-Gervais les Bains;
🇨🇭 FURTHER AFIELD in Switzerland, where families with small children are well-accommodated:
🇨🇭💦 Les Bains de Saillons (Valais, Switzerland) – set among terraced vineyards, with a view of the little castle atop the medieval bourg, this spa and aquatic centre has both indoor and outdoor attractions . . . three thermal pools (32 to 34°C), a semi-Olympic pool (28°C), a thermal river (120m long), hammam, sauna and jacuzzi and more . . . / there are restaurants and hotel facilities on-site! / price: adults CHF24 to 28, children (4 to 16 years) CHF13 and FREE for under 4s! / address: route du Centre Thermal 16, 1913, Saillon, Switzerland / tel: +41 (0)27 602 11 11 / NB – keep a watchful eye on children in the river rapids; it can get very busy!
🇨🇭💦 Les Bains de Lavey (Vaud, Switzerland) – have a lovely location and are reserved for 4+ years / 🕯candle-lit evenings on Thursdays / address: route des Bains 48, Lavey-Morcles, Switerland / FB page / website;
🇨🇭💦 Leukerbad (Loèche-les-Bains, Switzerland) – much further afield, but worth a mention as these thermal baths have a beautiful setting, amidst the snowy mountain peaks . . . a visit here is a real escape, a mix of well-being and fun! / there are 10 pools (between 28°C and 43°C!), and a new bassin aventure, two dedicated pools for children and waterslides (one with inflatable rings) / price: adults CHF 25 to 30, children (8 to 16 years) CHF 14 and free for under 8s and open to all children from birth! / massages for children & parents available / website;
🇨🇭💦Les Bains d’Ovronnaz (Valais, Switzerland) – nestled in a cirque of mountains, there are two outdoor pools here, and indoors there is a children’s paddling pool / massages for children & parents available / restaurant on-site (Panoramic Alpine Spa under renovation, due to fire damage) / website;
🇮🇹💦 Pré St Didier QC Termes (Aosta Valley, Italy) – this spa, through the Mont-Blanc tunnel and a bit further, is reserved for 14+ years (for ultimate parent and adult relaxation!) / website;
We have three ⛸ INDOOR ice-skating rinks au Pays du Mont-Blanc (also offering ice-hockey, curling and other ice sports ) / please check exact opening times directly with each ice-skating rink.
[ ⇒ see MBFF article ⛸ Ice-Skating rinks au Pays du Mont-Blanc for more information ]
- ⛸ Chamonix patinoire – address: 165 route de la Patinoire, 74400, Chamonix-Mont-Blanc / tel: +33 (0)4 50 53 12 36 / opening hours;
- ⛸ Saint-Gervais-les-Bains patinoire – during the school holidays, Charlotte la Marmotte (the Saint-Gervais-Mont-Blanc mascot) is present every Tuesday at the indoor patinoire in the afternoon (check time as variable!) – the Jardin des Glaces is for children 3 to 12 years – penguins and pandas available to support youngsters while skating – children under reponsibility of accompanying adults / address: 67 impasse de la Cascade, 74170, Saint-Gervais-les-Bains / tel: 04 50 93 50 02 / opening hours;
- ⛸ Megève patinoire – the olympic ice-skating rink is located within Le Palais / lots of special children and family events and spectacles here / see here for more details;
We have some fabulous 🧗♂️ indoor climbing walls for RAINY DAY climbing 🏔 au Pays du Mont-Blanc:
🧗♂️ Chamonix – located within the Centre Sportif Richard Bozon / for children 6+ years (and children 6 to 14 years must be accompanied by an adult) / see here for details;
🧗♂️ Mont Blanc Escalade (Les Houches) – see here for more details;
🧗♂️ Saint-Gervais-les-Bains – the indoor climbing wall in Saint-Gervais is located in one of the pillars of the Pile Pont / there is an outdoor bouldering wall too / open Tuesdays and Thursdays between 19h and 21h / you must bring all of your own equipment / tel: 04 50 47 73 40 / see here for more details / more information through MJC Saint-Gervais;
🧗♂️ Le Palais (Megève) – Le Palais’ mur d’escalade / see here for more details;
🧗♂️ Passy Escalade – you have to be an adhérent here;
🧗♂️ various gyms are also available through climbing and alpinism clubs and the CAF (ENSA, Passy Club d’Escalade, Sallanches’ Gymnase du Rosay);
🧗♂️ Arkose blocpark (Vétraz-Monthoux, near Annemasse) – indoor climbing, dedicated to BOULDERING! / 1800m² of luminous climbing space / also kids’ area, chill-out space, work zone, yoga classes and restaurant! / price & special classes: see website / opening hours: 8h until midnight / website / address: 10 allée des Chênes, 74100, Vétraz-Monthou;
🧗♂️ Vertic-Halle (Monthey, Valais, Switzerland) – 500m2 of bloc on one side of the paroi phonique, and a zone loisirs for children on the other side! / café too! / good to know: 9h opening on Wednesdays / website and FB page / address: Vertic-Halle, route du Triboulet 10, 1870, Monthey, Switzerland;
INDOOR SKI CENTRES
There are ⛷ TWO NEW INDOOR SKI CENTRES in the Vallée de l’Arve: the first opened in Cluses, and Passy’s centre opens its door to the public a couple of years ago now . . . these ski centres are not at all the same concept as those artificial ski slopes found in the 1980s in the UK to prepare British teens for their first ski trip abroad – these tapis are constantly moving and can be tilted to the steepness required and slowed down or the speed can be be increased; you learn to perfect your technique!
- ⛷ Ski Indoor 4810 (Passy) – MBFF was invited to try out a session en famille over the Toussaint holidays – we had heaps of fun, though it was very clear that the boys had way better ski technique than their mama – see article here / there are stages over the holidays! / website & FB page / address: 545 route des Outards, Passy;
- ⛷ TDVC Indoor Ski Lab (Cluses) – with a lounge area and bar / FB page / address: 7 rue du dr Gallet, Cluses;
For ☔️ RAINY DAYS au Pays du Mont-Blanc, there is 🌈 Le Parc en Folie softplay in Sallanches’ industrial zone / see FB page for more details / a fabulous place to organise children’s birthday parties!;
address: 1431 avenue André Lasquin, 74700, Sallanches / tel (Sabrina): +33 (0)6 37 16 47 32 ;
For more information about indoor play at big hotels au Pays du Mont-Blanc, see below!
[ FURTHER AFIELD: for more ideas for 🌈 larger softplay centres a bit further afield, ⇒ see MBFF article Softplay & Indoor Play Pays du Mont-Blanc ]
And for older children, who have outgrown the idea SOFTPLAY, then you could try:
🤸♀️ R’Jump Léman (Zone Commerciale de l’Aérodrome, Annemasse) – a 1300m² trampoline park (40 trampolines of all types: slanted, flat, with a slack line) and also a foam pool for jumps! Also a lounge space and ☕️ snack bar / for children over 6 years (except on Wednesdays and Sunday mornings, which are reserved for families!) / good to know: documents to print and hand in on arrival (see website)! / NO jeans and anti-slip socks required (2€) / website / 🗓 opening hours: see website / price: 14€ for one hour / address: 9 rue des Esserts, 74100 Annemasse;
🤸♀️ Elevation Indoor (Neydens) – this is a freestyle indoor parcours centre, with trampolines / opening hours: see general opening hours here / see website or FB page for more details / address: 13 rue du Jura, Neydens / tel: +33 (0)4 50 74 02 83 / NB – if you go for the first time, under 18s must supply: copy of identity card or passport of PARENT; adults must provide copy of of identity card or passport;
You could try one of the new crossfit centres in Sallanches or Passy, where there are sessions for children . . .
- CrossFit Mont-Blanc (Passy) – children’s sessions on a Saturday morning / see website;
- CrossFit Vallée (Sallanches) – see here;
If it is ☔️ raining or you have very small children to entertain, why not visit one of our 📚 médiathèques au Pays du Mont-Blanc? There are three big ones, with superb children’s areas (and sometimes storytelling sessions and ludothèques too) in:
- 📚 Chamonix – see here;
- 📚 Sallanches – the Médiathèque Ange Abrate, see here;
- 📚 Saint-Gervais – a smaller space;
- 📚 Megève – located within Le Palais complex; see here);
- 📚 and there are smaller bibliothèques in the other towns and villages au Pays du Mont-Blanc, offering wonderful storytelling, workshops spectacles and films over the school holidays;
[ 📚 note: do check opening hours before planning a visit, as these vary from day to day! ]
L’HEURE du CONTE at the Médiathèque Ange Abrate in Sallanches
📚 Storytime for children takes place on certain Wednesdays or Saturdays in the Salle de l’Heure du Conte / website;
- some Wednesdays at 10h30 – for 3 to 4 year olds;
- some Wednesdays at 16h – for children 5+ years;
- some Saturdays at 10h30 – for tiny ones (18 months to 3 years);
The Espace Jeunesse, furnished with beanbags and rugs, and the Salle de l’Heure du Conte are located upstairs (with WC located nearby, very practical!).
There are also sometimes spectacles organised / see current programme here;
address: Médiathèque Ange Abrate, 81 place du Commissaire Chesney, 74700, Sallanches;
L’Heure du Conte at the Médiathèque Le Palais Megève
There is a regular 📚 storytelling session organised at the Médiathèque in Megève (located within Le Palais) every Wednesday (or alternate Wednesday out of season) for children 3+ years (as well as a session one Saturday per month for bébés lecteurs, for little ones from 0 to 3 years) / for children 3+ years – 17h – FREE! – no reservations required / also, 📚 L’Heure du Conte (bébés lecteurs) one Saturday per month at 10h30 – for children 0 to 3 years – FREE! – no reservations needed;
address: Espace Jeunesse à la Médiathèque, 247 route du Palais des Sports, 74120, Megève / tel: +33 (0)4 50 91 57 70;
[ good to know – the 📚 médiathèques throughout the 🏔 Pays du Mont-Blanc have regular spectacles, ateliers, films for children throughout the year! / check their websites and FB pages to keep up-to-date ]
We have plenty of fabulous 🖼 local museums au Pays du Mont-Blanc, some offering temporary exhibitions and family and children’s guided visits and workshops over the school holidays . . . here are some ideas:
- 🖼🏔 Le Musée Alpin (Chamonix) – see here;
- 💎🏔 L’Espace Tairraz & Musée des Cristaux (Chamonix) – undergoing renovations, soon to open, see here;
- 📷🏔 La Maison de la Mémoire et la Patrimoine Janny Couttet (Chamonix) – see here;
- 🖼🏔 Le Musée Montagnard (Les Houches) – see here;
- 🦌 Château des Rubins – Observatoire des Alpes (Sallanches) – this museum underwent a huge renovation programe and has JUST opened / MBFF are set to visit soon! / more information here;
- 🖼🏔 Maison Forte de Hautetour (Saint-Gervais) – alpinism and art / see here;
[ ⇒ for more ideas for 🖼 museums or temporary exhibitions au Pays du Mont-Blanc, see separate MBFF article here ]
FURTHER AFIELD, you have more fabulous museums (again, many with workshops for children) in:
- 🇫🇷 Cluses – 🕰 Musée de l’Horlogerie et du Décolletage;
- 🇫🇷 Annecy – 🏰 Le Château d’Annecy, 🏰 Le Palais d’Ile, 🎥 Le Musée de Film d’Animation;
- 🇫🇷 Evian – 🖼 Le Palais Lumière;
- 🇨🇭 Geneva – for example, 🦌 Muséum d’Histoire Naturelle (Natural History Museum) / 🖼⚱️ MAH (Musée d’Art et Histoire) / 🖼 MAMCO (Musée d’Art Moderne et Contemporain) / MEG (Musée d’Ethnographie de Genève) / 🔭 Le Musée d’Histoire des Sciences . . . and many more! / see separate MBFF articles!
- 🇨🇭 Martigny – 🖼 Fondation Pierre Gianadda / 🐶 Barryland – Musée et Chiens Saint-Bernard;
- 🇮🇹 Aosta Valley (Italy) – 🏟 the Roman ruins in Aosta or the FABULOUS 🖼📷 Forte di Bard further down the valley in Bard;
[ ➡️ for ideas about what to go and see, and more information concerning opening hours and prices, have a look at MBFF article 🖼 Museums & Exhibitions au Pays du Mont-Blanc (and beyond) (regularly updated) ]
And a whole new breed of interactive centre has taken off in recent years, where children can explore and create and understand through DOING . . . here are some suggestions not too far from the 🏔 Pays du Mont-Blanc:
🌎 La Turbine in Cran-Gévrier (near Annecy) – Le Centre de Culture Scientifique Technique et Industrielle de Haute-Savoie is an innovative pedagogic centre equipped for families to learn about science in an interactive way;
🌎 current exhibition: Electro Sound – les coulisses du son;
🗓 opening hours: from Tuesday to Sunday, 14h to 18h / FREE entry on first Sunday of month!
address: place Chorus, Cran-Gevrier, 74960, Annecy / tel: 04 50 08 17 00 / website;
🇨🇭🎨 La Maison de la Créativité (Conches, near Geneva) – [ SHUT over summer holidays! ] / see MBFF article about the FABULOUS creative centre for under 8s / open to public on Wednesdays and one Saturday a month / RESERVATIONS currently required;
🇨🇭 Espace des Inventions (Lausanne) – a place for families and children to experience and experiment with science, technology and art, through the exhibitions / workshops for children here / 🗓 opening hours: Wednesday to Saturday, 14h to 18h and Sunday and bank holidays, 10h to 18h / FREE entry on first Saturday of month! / website / address: Vallée de la Jeunesse 1, 1007, Lausanne, Switzerland / tel: +41 (0)21 315 68 80;
There are some fabulous 🏰 castles in Savoie Mont-Blanc – perfect for a rainy day (NB – most of these hibernate over the winter months!): 🏰 Château de l’Echelle (La Roche-sur-Foron) / 🏰 Château de Thorens / 🏰 Château des Sires (Bonneville) / 🏰 Château d’Annecy and more (see below) / 🇨🇭 in Switzerland, the fairytale 🏰 Château de la Bâtiaz (Martigny), Château de Chillon (Lac Léman, near Montreux) & 🏰 Château de Gruyères . . .
Many of these castles boast lovely gardens; these, clearly, won’t be so welcoming on a rainy day! Here are some of the more well-known ones, which offer plenty of children’s activities:
🏰 Château de Montrottier (Lovagny, near Annecy) – children can get dressed up in medieval costumes during their visit to this castle! / 🍏 picnics in the park and parcours interactif / Chasse aux Pommes-Pidoux hidden in the castle / photos on the throne! / family price: 22€, adults 8€ and children 6€, children under 5 years free / address: Domaine et Château de Montrottier, 60 allée du Château, 74330, Lovagny / website / good to know: the castle is located near the Gorges du Fier, also fabulous for a family visit;
🏰 Château de Menthon Saint-Bernard (near Annecy) – a fairytale 12th century turreted castle, with an imposing position above Lac d’Annecy! / 🗓 opening hours (vary according to season) and price: see website (July & August every day 12h until 19h) / son et lumière shows in summertime;
🏰 Château & Domaine de Ripaille – good to know: ask for the le parcours spécial enfant / price: adults 9€; children (7 to 15 years) 4.5€ and free for under 7s; family 23€ / great to combine with 🌳 walk in forest or a visit of to the port in Thonon-les-Bains (pretty and great playground) / 🗓 opening hours on website;
🏰 Château de Voltaire – one of France’s Monuments Nationaux, this castle is open all year-round, with beautiful gardens / get up close and personal with Voltaire . . . / website;
And in the neighbouring 🇮🇹 Aosta Valley in Italy there are also several 🏰 castles in strategic positions along the valley (most of these are open throughout the year) . . . The MBFF tribe has visited a handful of these Aosta valley castles and the guided visits have been superb. See Valle d’Aosta Tourism website for a complete list of the castles open to the public and opening hours (mostly, you will visit as part of a guided tour).
Here are some of the 🏰 castles in the 🇮🇹 Aosta Valley:
- 🏰 Sarre Castle – once the hunting & holiday residence of the House of Savoy;
- 🏰 Sarriod de la Tour Castle – set among orchards, looking out over the Dora Baltea river;
- 🏰 Fénis Castle – towers, crenellated walls and fairy-tale charm make this castle a popular visit;
- 🏰 Forte di Bard – once a near-impregnable fortress . . . now a complex of museums, art exhibitions & events, restaurant and hotel / the MBFF tribe LOVE this fortress and its exhibitions; see here for MBFF article);
There are 🎬 TWO big cinemas au Pays du Mont Blanc:
- 🎬 Cinéma Vox Chamonix – see here / there are a selection of films in VO;
- 🎬 Ciné Mont-Blanc in Sallanches -see here / occasional films in VO / Cinékids at 11h on Sundays – special screenings adapted for wee ones! / lots of séances avant-première !
🎬 and there are also lots of smaller screens with a good selection of films (some foreign language films in VO with subtitles), so ➡️ see post Cinemas au Pays du Mont-Blanc for more information:
- 🎬 Le Grand Soir Cinébus (Les Houches) – every other Wednesday at the Espace Animation at 17h;
- 🎬 Cinéma du Plateau (Plateau d’Assy) – website Cinéma du Plateau d’Assy / address: 34 rue de l’Eglise, 74480, Plateau d’Assy, Passy;
- 🎬 Théâtre Montjoie from MJC (Saint Gervais) – MJC cinema / address: Théâtre Montjoie, 190 rue de la Vignette, 74170, Saint-Gervais-les-Bains / tel: 04 50 52 30 03;
- 🎬 Panoramic (Megève) – holiday film screenings;
Visit an indoor KARTING TRACK
Summer 2018 saw the opening of an 🏎 indoor karting centre – Urban Kart’in – in La Roche-sur-Foron! We’ve not yet been to test it out, but it gets rave reviews! A 🏎 karting piste “Made in Italy“, with a bridge and tunnel for driving indoor karts ” Made in France 100% électrique “ (unique in Haute-Savoie and Savoie) / for 7+ years! / 24 karts (18 for adults and 6 for children) / best to reserve: 04 50 03 66 78 / website;
Spend an afternoon or evening BOWLING
You have two options for 🎳 bowling au Pays du Mont-Blanc:
- 🎳 NEW Le Plan B – as mentioned above, you’ll find one bowling alley here, along with the other indoor games! / see website or FB page for more information / address: 196 avenue Courmayeur, 74400, Chamonix / tel: 04 85 30 01 60;
- Le Bowling du Mont-Blanc (SALLANCHES) – there are also laser games, a new Escape Room, and a bar on-site / good to know: it is opposite the Ciné Mont-Blanc and the new restaurant and car park planned opposite / see website for more details;
Visit a spacious hotel or restaurant with family activities
There are some spacious hotels and restaurants that offer plenty of activities for children au Pays du Mont-Blanc – the perfect spot to catch up with friends and let the kids play! Here are some ideas:
- Plan B (Chamonix) – where the old bowling alley used to be, this concept hotel has many features to attract families on rainy days: a play area, a bowling alley, pool tables, babyfoot . . . / FB page;
- La Folie Douche (Chamonix) – an industrial chic establishment settled into the old Hotel Savoie, and made a hotel complex well thought-out and alluring for families: several restaurants on-site, with food huts on a large terrace . . . As well as a huge outdoor area, it has a spacious indoor lounge, with separate and cosy areas equipped with board games! / indoor events are frequently organised here, or you can simply have a drink at the bar and hang out in the lounge, which has board games / MBFF has spent a lovely rainy afternoon lounging here! see here for more information / address: 823 allée Recteur Payot, 74400, Chamonix / tel: 04 50 55 10 00 / FB page and website;
- Héliopic Hotel & Spa (Chamonix) – you can head for a drink at this hotel with small children, and then can use the small play area in reception / FB page;
- Le Rocky Pop (Les Houches) – Chamonix Valley residents are generally familiar with this quirky new(ish) hotel in Les Houches! Met at the door by R2D2 and CP3O, you hand your kids over to these Star Wars stalwart babysitters as you enter the hotel and restaurant, and then collect your kids at the end of the evening, as you go home . . . only kidding (if only!). I’m not far from the truth here, though, as there are so many activities for kids, that you can quite easily chat to your adult friends while they play. Indoor (or semi-indoor) activities on offer: babyfoot, 🎮 computer games . . . once when we were there, there was even a dance class put on for kids! Did my boys want to do this? Nope. Did they pester us all evening? Yep. / the food is family-friendly: burgers, pizzas and some great vegetarian options too! / address: 1476 avenue des Alpages, 74310, Les Houches / tel: 04 85 30 00 00 / good to know – a new Rocky Pop is set to open in Flaine! / FB page and website
There are no 🐟 aquariums or vivariums to visit au Pays du Mont-Blanc, but there are a few options around 🇨🇭 Lac Léman:
🇨🇭🦎 Vivarium Elapsoidea (Meyrin) – very small, but we really enjoyed our visit! address: 32a, rue Cardinal-Journet, 1217, Meyrin, Switzerland / tel: +41(0)22 785 60 60 / website;
🇨🇭🐟 Musée du Léman & Aquarium (Nyon) – a museum dedicated to the history of Lac Léman and an aquarium too! / new permanent exhibition: « Petite Nature? » (36 questions to decode the the secrets of the lake!) / 🖼 temporary exhibition: « Un Tsunami sur le Léman » – lookin gat the tsunami of the 6th century! / 🗓 opening hours: Tuesday to Sunday, April until October, 10h to 17h and November to March 14h to 17h / price: CHF8 and free for children under 16 years / good to know – FREE every first Sunday of the month; 1 x entrance = free access to the Musée Romain and the Château de Nyon (valid 12 months) / l’atelier Créa’lac – every 3rd Sunday of month, a workshop for children at 15h30; CHF 7 per child (museum entrance free) / super playground right next door and picnic spot! / address: quai Louis-Bonnard 8, 1260, Nyon, Switzerland / tel:+41 (0) 22 316 42 50 / website;
🇨🇭🦈 Aquatis (Lausanne) – we’ve not visited yet, but Aquatis Aquarium & Vivarium in Lausanne has been open to the public since October 2017 / restaurant on-site: Piranha, with a view on the piranha pool! / 🗓 opening hours: November until March 10h to 18h, every day; April until October 9h to 19h, every day / price: CHF29, children (5 to 15) CHF19, under 5s FREE / see website for more details / address: AQUATIS Aquarium-Vivarium, route de Berne 144, 1010, Lausanne, Switzerland / tel: +41 (0)21 654 23 23;
And for something a bit different . . .
👩🏫🌈 CrazySchool (Cranves-Sales) – CrazySchool is a unique concept for a salle de jeux: a school of illusion, with parcours full of original games: lasers, climbing, puzzles . . . / read more about the games here / price: from 15€ (see here) / website and FB page;
address: 1065 route des Tattes de Borly, 74380, Cranves-Sales (near Annemasse);
📟 Ecole Robots Algora (Annemasse) – learn to programme and build robots! / FB page;
And there are still some ways to enjoy 🌲 NATURE when it is ☔️ raining !
Visit an ÉCOMUSÉE
🌲 Ecomusées explore nature and customs of yesteryear, and some have some outdoor activities and exhibits, so they generally work better on fine weather days . . . but with fabulous indoor exhibitions, they are still good ☔️ rainy day options!
Au Pays du Mont-Blanc, we have:
- La Maison du Lieutenant & La Maison de l’Alpage (Servoz);
- Le Musée de Barberine (Barberine, Vallorcine);
- La Ferme à Isidore – mainly photographic exhibitions in this old farm;
- Musée du Haut Val d’Arly (Megève);
FURTHER AFIELD, here are some more ideas (article to come!):
🌲 La Maison du Salève (Présilly) – a visit to La Maison du Salève makes for a wonderful family day out, preferably on a fair weather day as the gardens are lovely and there are walks to enjoy en famille nearby . . . originally an 18th century farm from the Chartreuse de Pomier, La Ferme de Mikerne has been renovated to host a cultural centre recounting the history of the Salève mountain and its environs / MBFF article here and website / current exhibition: La Forêt: maison des animaux;
address: 775 route de Mikerne, 74160, Présilly;
🌲 Le Hameau des Alpes (La Clusaz) – learn about the rich culture and patrimoine of La Clusaz . . . learn about how skiing has evolved, about the making of Reblochon cheese, learn about a traditional oven, learn about the old greniers, and an old sawmill . . . / website;
address: Hameau des Alpes, 44 route de la Patton, 74220, La Clusaz;
🌲 Ecomusée PAYSALP (Viuz-en-Salles) – shining the light on local patrimoine! / more information here;
address: 800 avenue de Savoie, 74250, Viuz-en-Sallaz;
One way to escape ⛈ the rain, and yet to remain immersed in mother nature, is to head underground . . . Not too far from the 🏔Pays du Mont-Blanc, you have 🦇 several underground options for ☔️ rainy days:
You can book to visit the 🦇 Grotte de Balme (near Magland) with a guide through Sallanches Tourisme! / a great spéléologie visit! / read more about this cave, popular as a tourist destination in days gone by, here;
And a bit FURTHER AFIELD, there are some other 🦇 magnificent caves to visit (perfect for a rainy day or a very hot day, as caves stay at a very constant temperature!) . . . / remember to take baby carriers, as buggies are not permitted;
🐻 Musée des Ours et des Cavernes (near Chambéry) – a museum (decorated to make you feel like you are in a cave!) exploring the world of cave-dwelling bears! / 🗓 opening hours: from October until April, during the school holidays, 14h to 18h (SHUT Saturdays), see website for spring and summer opening;
address: Musée des Ours et des Cavernes, Epernay, 73670, Entremont-le-Vieux (in Parc Naturel Régional de Chartreuse) / tel: 04 79 26 29 87;
🦇 Les Grottes de la Balme (Isère) – the caves are located 40mins drive to the east of Lyon, 2 hours from Chamonix / the temperature in the caves is between 12° et 15°C all year round (bring jumper) / no dogs allowed, no camera flash / picnic spot at entrance to village, with rain shelter, WC and playground / holiday workshops / note: when there is too much water running through the cave system, then you cannot visit the lake! / website;
address: rue des Grottes, 38390, La Balme-les-Grottes / tel: +33 (0)4 74 96 95 00!
🇨🇭 Bex salt mines (Salines de Bex) – located between Martigny and Montreux in Switerland, are another great underground option – here you discover the origin of the Sel des Alpes (salt was once as precious as gold!) in the vast underground labyrinth (several kilometres open to the public) and learn about the excavation techniques used from the first gallery of 1684, up to modern times / 18°C: all year round! / small train / 🗓 opening hours: from March until December, see website;
address: route de Gryon 31, Bex, Vaud, Switerland / tel: +41 24 463 03 20;
🦇 spring to summer opening caves . . .
🦇 Les Grottes de Cerdon in l’Ain – located one hour from Lyon, Grenoble and Annecy and 40 minutes from Bourg-en-Bresse, in the Jura mountains / visiting time: 1h30 / visit follows path of ancient underground river, shaped by glaciers / the temperature in the caves is between 14° and 4°C (bring jumper) / wear suitable shoes / little train for beginning of visit / guided visit or independent visit with audioguide / 🦇 re-opening, after hibernation, in April! / parc préhistorique: there are lots of workshops on offer during the school holidays like les ateliers de la préhistoire, holiday visits for children 4 to 7 years, caving for children and more . . . see here / price: adults 9,50€ and children 6,50€ / website;
address: D-1084, 01450, Labalme / tel: +33 (0)4 74 37 36 79;
🇨🇭💦 Lac Soutterain St-Léonard – not too far from the Pays du Mont-Blanc is the 💦 Lac Soutterain St-Léonard – located between Sion and Serre in the Valais, Switzerland, this is the largest underground lake in Europe (300m long x 20m wide w 10m deep) / ambient temperature all year of 15° / 3D animations, guided tours by boat / 🗓 opening hours (from 17th March until November): 10h to 17h (July and August from 9h) / price: adults CHF10, children (5 to 15 years) CHF6 and under 5s FREE / website;
address: rue du Lac 21, 1958, St-Léonard / tel: +41 (0)27 203 22 66 / website;
Children generally love 🚂 trains and train journeys . . . and once in the train, you are out of the 🌧 rain! Luckily, there are some memorable 🚂 train journeys (big and small!) 🏔 au Pays du Mont-Blanc:
🚂 Montenvers cobble train & Mer de Glace – the iconic cobble train departs from Chamonix (behind SNCF train station) and heads up to the Montenvers glacier and ice grotto! / see here for MBFF post;
🚈 Mont-Blanc Express from Le Fayet to Martigny – with a carte d’hôte, you can take this train for FREE between Servoz and Vallorcine . . . and it goes as far as 🇨🇭 Martigny in Switzerland! / a lovely excursion, with views of the snowy peaks throught the upper windows . . . / see here for more details;
🚃 Le Tramway du Mont-Blanc – is the highest-reaching cobble train in France, leaving from Le Fayet or Saint-Gervais and reaching up to the Nid d’Aigle (2372 m) / journey up through forests and fields of ❄️ SNOW / see here for more details;
Try out PAINTBALLING or outdoor LASER GAMES!
🏔 Au Pays du Mont-Blanc, there are paintball & lasergame zones in: the Chamonix Valley, near Lac de Passy and in Megève . . . in a light summer drizzle, these would be still fun. You generally wear a suit and you’re meant to get dirty anyway, right?
- 🎨 Chamonix Paint-Ball (Chamonix) – paintball & lasergame (12+ years) / website / address: route de la Promenade des Crèmeries, Chamonix / tel: 06 07 36 01 51;
- 🎨 Paintball Mont-Blanc (Les Tines) – is located in the forest in Les Tines (8+ years) / website / address: Les Liarets, lieu-dit Les Tines, 74400, Chamonix-Mont-Blanc;
- 🎨 Fiz Paintball (near Lac de Passy) – five different zones to play (classic, forts, jungle, speedball, airball) for 8+ years / website / address: Lieu-dit « Les Îles » (autoroute A40, sortie n°21 « PASSY – SAINT GERVAIS »;
- 🎨 Paintball Experience Megève– paintball, lasergame, archery tag, airsoft . . . / 6 games areas / for 6+ years / website / address: chemin du Thorbiau, 74120, Megève;
LIGHT SUMMERTIME DRIZZLE
In the summetime, ☔️ rain can be light and fleeting, and doesn’t have to mean that we spend our day indoors . . . so here are some outdoor activities . . .
On a day with some drizzle or short ☔️ rain showers (NOT 🌩 thunder and lightning!) then shelter in the 🌲 forest can be a marvellous thing . . . we are surrounded by woods here au Pays du Mont-Blanc, here are some suggestions:
- 🌲 Bois du Bouchet in Chamonix – makes for a perfect buggy walk, or a tour on a draisienne (push bike) . . . / also the parcours d’orientation / you can stop for 🥤 drinks and snacks at Le Robinson or La Crèmerie / more information in MBFF article here;
- 🌲 Lac des Chavants woods (Les Houches) – a great place to make a cabane, and there is also the parcours d’orientation, a playground and 🥤 La Guinguette café on-site / more information in MBFF article here;
- 🌲 Le Paradis des Praz – this is a lovely stroll or bike ride, with ☕️ buvette / FB page / more information in MBFF article here;
- 🌲 Argentière mare aux tetards & moraine woods – with a bucolic stream, playground, picnic tables and parcours d’orientation / more information in MBFF article here;
- 🌲 La Pesse woods & Médonnet boulders – DO NOT 🧗♀️ climb the boulders in the rain, as this is very dangerous! / cabanes to be made in this ethereal forest location near Cordon and Combloux . . . / parking La Pesse: a small lay-by on route de Nant-Cruy and then access to boulders and forest via sentier piéton La Pesse, sentier VTT 42 / see separate MBFF article here;
When it’s not 🌧 raining too heavily, or on a beautiful day after lots of rain, a visit to a 💦 gorge can be a great option to fit in a short walk (seasonal opening generally from late spring until early autumn; please check opening hours) – the 💦 water will be running with force, and it will be a sensory experience! Though do please be careful on the walkways, as these will be slippery!
[ ⇒ see separate MBFF article about 💦 waterfalls and gorges here ]
🏔 Au Pays du Mont-Blanc, we have :
- 💦 Les Gorges de la Diosaz (Servoz) – open from early May until late September (weather dependent) see MBFF article for more details / website;
- 💦 La Gorge du Glacier (Argentière) – a lovely short hike, which leaves from just beyond the Crèmerie du Glacier and the helicopters!
- 💦 Les Gorges du Bonnant (Le Parc Thermal, Le Fayet) – open all year-round / see MBFF article for more details;
- 💦 Les Gorges de la Gruvaz (La Gruvaz) – absolutely spectacular; an article to come soon!
. . . and a little FURTHER AFIELD . . .
- 🇫🇷💦 Gorges du Fier (near Annecy) – the passerelles were created by Annecy architect Marius Vallin in 1869! / see website for more details;
- 🇫🇷💦 Les Gorges du Pont du Diable (La Vernaz) – see website for more details / with a new pas dans le vide! / good to know: porte-bébés (3,5kg to 20kg) at your disposition (but please bring your own, if you have one) / address: Le Jotty, 74200, La Vernaz / tel: 04 50 72 10 39;
- 🇨🇭💦 Les Gorges Mystérieuses de Tête-Noire (near Finhaut, Switzerland) – website (AMAZING!) / MBFF article here;
. . . or simply visit 💦 a waterfall, which will be flowing with gusto (and may take your breath away!) after huge rainfall. For some ideas of💦 waterfalls to visit au Pays du Mont-Blanc, see separate MBFF article here;
The💦 Cascade du Rouget (near Sixt-Fer-à-Cheval) will take your breath away in or just after huge rainfall!
If the sun comes out, you may even see a 🌈 r a i n b o w . . .
Canyoning & Rafting
💦 Canyoning and rafting (or hydrospeed or kayaking) can be fun in light rain for older children (competent swimmers!) and families. 🏔 Au Pays du Mont-Blanc, we have the 💦 Arve river for rafting and other fun water sports, and further afield:
- 💦 Le Giffrein Haut-Giffre;
- 💦 La Dranse around Morzine & Montriond;
- 💦 Dora Baltea in the Aosta Valley;
. . . and a few locations for 💦 canyoning:
- 💦 Canyon de Barberine (Vallorcine);
- 💦 La Belle au Bois (Megève);
- 💦 Canyon de la Balme (Magland)
- and futher afield, the 💦 Canyon du Bronze, and 💦 Canyon de Chalamy in the Aosta Valley;
There are several companies offering rafting & canyoning:
- 💦 Session Raft (Passy & Chamonix) – from 6+ years / stages for teenagers over the summer / see website for more details;
- 💦 Oxo Canyoning – mini-canyon offered to children 6+ years / website;
- 💦 Ecolorado – activities for children 7+ years / website;
- 💦 Evasion Canyoning – NEW, and with canyoning for families!
- 💦 local tourist offices also offer canyoning options;
Don a pair of wellies and head to a local farm on a 🌧 drizzly day . . .
🏔 Au Pays du Mont-Blanc, we have:
🐓 La Ferme Les Montagnards GAEC (Ormaret, Combloux) has FAMILY VISITS scheduled on Tuesdays and Thursdays, with plenty of workshops over the school holidays / see FB page / be sure to book;
🐏 visit to Chèvrerie Les Cabrettes – this goat farm is located on the hillside at St Roch / flock: 100 chèvres alpines chamoisées, 45 chevrettes, 6 boucs, 2 ânesses / cheese for sale every day (except Sunday morning) 10h to 12h and 16h30 to 18h30 / see here for more details / address: Ferme des Cabrettes, 74700, Sallanches / reservations: 04 50 47 87 87 / 06 30 01 80 73;
🐄 visit to La Ferme de l’Aberieux – nestled into the start of a walking path, this farm has 25 milking cows from the Tarentaise breed / sale of cheese: tomme de Savoie, bleu fermier, raclette de Savoie, fromage blanc, faisselle, yogurts, confiture de lait, l’abérieux (fromage à pâte molle) and butter / opening hours: every day except Sunday morning / Albert can show you how to make cheese in the morning (reservations required) / cow milking from 17h30 / participation: 3€ and free for under 12s / address: 490 chemin du Pont de la Flée, 74700, Cordon / tel: 06 76 12 41 67 / website;
🐄 visit to Ferme Le Gaec Val Mont-Blanc – the Paget family farm / cheese-making and tasting at this dairy farm / visiting hours: see here / address: 777 route de Saint-Gervais, Gemoëns, 74920, Combloux / tel (reservations): 06 16 33 71 74;
🐏 visit to La Ferme des Roches Fleuries – you can visit this animal farm and buy produce too / FB page / address: 1510 route D’Orsin, Saint-Gervais-Les-Bains;
and 🇫🇷 FURTHER AFIELD:
🐓🐣 La Ferme de Chosal (Copponex) – an absolutely FABULOUS pedagogic farm, with animals, green-houses, a land-art walk, workshops, an ethical & social spirit . . . / NEW! a barefoot walk! / opening hours: every day / see website for more details / address: 98 route de l’Usine, Chosal, 74350, Copponex;