A spring or summer visit to Lac de Passy
A visit to 💦 Lac de Passy during the ☀️ summer months is – for locals – pretty much de rigueur; but do be warned that on certain days during the summer months it can be heaving! During the school summer holidays, an area of the sandy beach is cordoned off, with lifeguards on duty (outside this area, swimming is unsupervised). The 🏖 beach end is soft for the feet and great for sandcastle fun, but do be vigilant with little ones as the water gets deep quite quickly in certain areas. There is also plenty of grass down at the beach end, so lots of space for lounging and picnics, but those needing more shade will find respite in the 🌳 wooded area by the ⛑ First Aid hut, which is also equipped with picnic tables and BBQ facilities (you are not allowed to bring your own BBQs, for safety reasons). Alternatively, you can find a little more shade and seclusion in the series of criques at the other end of the lake. There are no lifeguards down here and it is a pebbly entrance into the water, so water shoes for little ones are useful!
Eating Options at Lac de Passy
💦 Lac de Passy is well-equipped with picnic tables and on-site BBQ facilities (you just need to bring your grill, charbon and food!), so you will see families setting up shop for the day in the shady spots! If you would rather be cooked FOR then. . .
- down by the criques there is the lovely, friendly Buvette des Criques, run by Jérémy and his team – the spot is perfect, there is place to rest your bikes & buggies and the food (burgers, grillades, salads, home-made desserts) is copious! / there are sometimes concerts in the evenings during the summer months, so do check the FB page! / spring to autumn opening / tel: +33 (0)6 61 97 59 81;
- at the beach-end of the lake, next to the Mont-Blanc Kids bouncy castles and Passy Accro-Lac accrobranches ®, is the Buvette de la Plage, with ice-cream, crêpes, frites, sandwiches / spring to autumn opening / tel: +33 (0)6 67 53 28 87;
- there are restaurants: at the campsite ⛺️ Tohapi Les Iles (Restaurant Passy’O – behind 🅿️ Parking de la Plage) / at ⛺️ Camping Mont-Blanc Plage / and at ⛺️ Camping Village Mont-Blanc (Le Restaurant Ecureuil – a short walk from Camping Mont-Blanc Plage);
- if you are cycling or having a stroll, then you can access La Grange de Domancy restaurant on bike or on foot (over the Bialle stream, by the horse stables) / open all year, apart from Tuesday evening and Wednesdays / address: 820 route de Sallanches, 74700, Domancy (located next to main, busy road from Le Fayet to Sallanches; when arriving from the quiet woods next to the lake, take great care if arriving with small children) / tel: +33 (0)4 50 53 97 84;
Walks & Strolls
Lac de Passy is a popular place for a stroll, whatever the season. You will see buggy walkers, dog walkers, Nordic walkers, joggers, children on push bikes, parents pulling sledges . . .
And a chilly ❄️ New Year’s dip for some courageous folk!
As well as the obvious loop around the lake, Lac de Passy links up with other cycle routes and there is an area for 🚵 VTT exploration (with lots of bumps and tree roots) behind the mini-golf, or across the Bialle stream! My older son and I regularly opt for this route for an adventurous cycle to the lake from home (it is often VERY muddy after rain!).
NEW FOR AUTUMN 2017 – there is now an 🚵 Espace VTT set up behind the mini-golf! Bridges, bumps, a slalom and tilted turns, lots of fun! For children 4+ years (and wearing helmets, clearly!). There is a panel highlighting the rules and safety.
Trot’Top (trottinettes électriques)
There are electric trottinettes to hire, by the accrobranches ®;
Fitness Circuit (Parcours de Santé)
There is a 🌳 fitness circuit in the woods on the northern side of the lake. Our kids love this!
NEW for SUMMER 2018!
Wow, there are now so many new amenities at Lac de Passy!
- playground – near the beach end of the lake, with a stylish wooden enclosure and lots of sand! / though hot on a sunny day, there is still a little shade for playing in the sand (so bring buckets and spades and diggers and go BAREFOOT!);
- new climbing frames – les massettes and barrage des castors on the southern side of the lake;
- slide & climbing zone – in the criques area;
- ponton des grenouilles and 3 wooden pontoons – criques area and quieter side of lake;
Beach Volleyball & Pétanque
At the beach end of the lake, you will find areas to play beach volleyball and pétanque.
Passy Accro-Lac accrobranches ® & Trampoline Elastique
From April until September, Lac de Passy’s accrobranches ® is open for children (2+ years) and adults alike, with different parcours to try out / see their FB page for current prices and exact opening hours / enquire at the Buvette de la Plage for the trampoline elastique / new air bag and zone for tiny ones!
Mont-Blanc Kids bouncy castles
For a few years now, from late spring until early autumn, our kids have been enjoying the odd bounce on the inflatable structures down at the beach end of the lake. There are different price packages on offer, and recently a water slide was added to the fun! See their website for opening hours and prices.
Sailing courses for children in June (Voile Optimist)
The MJC Saint–Gervais organises ⛵️ sailing courses for children every month of June . . .
Aqua Park du Mont-Blanc (wibit)
A relatively new addition to the Lac de Passy scene are the 💦 inflatable structures in the water (Wibit Sport) on the northern side of the lake. 💦 Wibit Sport is open during the summer months from 10h to 20h and costs 8€ for 45mins; children have to be 8+ years to try it out on their own, and from 6 years, they can go with an accompanying adult! The children wear life-vests while they are on the structure, but it is still a good idea to keep a watchful eye on them! Our older son and friends have tried it a couple of times now and have loved it! There are also paddle-boards to rent out for 10€/hour.
⛵️ Electric Boats, Pedalos & Mini-Golf with Loisirs Détente ⛵️
On the southern edge of the lake, children can enjoy being captain of their own choice of ⛵️ motorboat (children from 9+ years can captain the boats on their own, otherwise they must be accompanied by an adult) in an area cordoned off for the activity. And right next door is the Mini-Golf / New for 2017: pedalos for hire! / see the website for more details;
🏎 Karting du Mont-Blanc 🏎
🏎 Karting du Mont-Blanc is open from March to November, for all 7+ years / see website / FB page for more details and opening hours / tel: +44 (0)6 80 14 68 19 or +44 (0)4 50 93 75 37 / it is located right next to the 🅿️ Parking des Criques.
Aquabike Lac de Passy
🎣 Fishing 🎣
Like its Sallanches (St Martin) neighbour Lacs des Ilettes, Lac de Passy is a popular place for 🎣 fishing. Fishing licences must be obtained from the Tourist Office.
⛵️ Windsurfing, Paddle Boarding, Sailing & Yoga ⛵️
The lake is a popular spot for windsurfing (with the bise blowing, there is certainly enough wind!), paddle boarding (SUP), sailing classes for children and yoga!
You can rent out paddle boards from Aqua Park du Mont-Blanc and the Mini-Golf & Electric Boats;
Yoga classes during the summer months:
- try Murmure Yoga for yoga lessons;
- check with Ananda Yoga Studio (Chamonix) for Stand Up Paddle & Yoga sessions;
Festivals & Events at Lac de Passy throughout the year
Lac de Passy – a beautiful lake with Mont Blanc mirrored in the water – attracts lots of wonderful sporting events and festivals throughout the year . . .
- 🚵 Rando VTT – « Dré dans L’Darbon » – a fabulous family biking event that runs yearly at the end of May (2019 – Sunday 26th May) it leaves from the Tour Carré in Domancy, and the parcours aimed at children and families runs around the lake and into the woods / the MBFF team had a great time participating last year! / website;
- 💦 « La Traversée du Lac » – the swimming event on Lac de Passy’s calendar, run by Mont-Blanc Natation / the event runs in early July;
- 💦 « Mont-Blanc Triathlon International » – the triathlon event of Lac de Passy, it runs in August / FB page;
- ⚽️ « La Fête du Sport » – in early September, just after La Rentrée . . . a chance for the whole family to come and find out the sports & clubs on offer in the area!
⛺️ Campsites at Lac de Passy ⛺️
There are ⛺️ 3 campsites located around Lac de Passy, each with its own restaurant on-site:
- ⛺️ Tohapi Les Iles – located directly behind 🅿️ Parking de la Plage / cabins to rent;
- ⛺️ Camping Mont-Blanc Plage – with its own, private lake (Lacs des Cavettaz);
- ⛺️ Camping Village Mont-Blanc – a short walk away with a super restaurant on-site Le Restaurant Ecureuil / cabins to rent;
🗺 Map and flyer for Lac de Passy 🗺
🚾 Toilet facilities at Lac de Passy 🚾
There are 🚾 several public toilets at Lac de Passy; see the above map for exact locations!
🅿️ Parking at Lac de Passy 🅿️
There are 🅿️ THREE car parks at Lac de Passy:
- 🅿️ Parking des Granges (this serves the criques end of the lake, and is the first car park you will arrive at, if arriving by car);
- 🅿️ Parking des Criques (the second car park if arriving by car, right by Karting du Mont-Blanc);
- 🅿️ Parking Plage (at the beach-end of the lake);
NB – over the summer months, in July & August, cars must pay 2€ to park in these car parks!