Officially known as Base de Loisir des Ilettes, les Lacs des Ilettes actually consist of three lakes and this is a popular place year-round for locals to come for a stroll en famille, for a bike ride, a dog-walk (permitted around the 3rd lake) or a jog or workout. In summertime, the middle lake is a popular choice for swimmers and the 3rd lake for windsurfers.
The first lake (coming from St Martin) is reserved for fishing (trout, perch, carp, pike, crayfish . . .). Fishing permits can be obtained from the Sallanches Tourist Office. This lake is a good destination for small children as there are often ducks to admire! The wonderful K2 Meal food caravan can be found here during the summer months.
The second lake is reserved for swimming during July and August (from 12h-18h) and there are lifeguards stationed at the cordoned-off area at the northern end of the lake. Here you will also find a small beach, grassy areas with picnic tables and BBQs and showers. There is also a friendly restaurant called Le Transat open from May to September (Tel: +33 4 50 58 24 64).
- VTT along the Arve river and beyond;
- ping pong and volleyball;
- picnic tables and fixed BBQs;
- Les Ilettes en Fête in the summertime – various half-day activities/sports and “stages” are offered to children from 6 years upwards;
- walks – if a walk around the lake is not enough for you, why not head out on one of the longer family walks? You could head to La Cascade d’Arpenaz . . .;
- Geocaching – as a family, we are yet to try this thoroughly modern Smartphone/GPS activity! There is one to do at Lacs des Ilettes & La Cascade d’Arpenaz. Sallanches Tourist Office has a free booklet that highlights all the local geocaching options!
Popular with locals all year round, the colours at Lacs des Ilettes are sensational in autumn . . .
and the afternoon light is sublime during the wintertime . . .