A visit to the Plan d’Eau Biotope in Combloux makes for a wonderful day of swimming and lazing, with a majestic view of the Mont Blanc Massif as a backdrop!
Combloux boasts the first ecological mountain lake in France, in the most superb setting. The lake has been created for swimming and has more than 10 000 aquatic plants filtering the water to to purify it, and it has a pretty waterfall feature; this ensures an optimal water quality, without the use of chemicals or chlorine. Naturally heated by the sun, the water temperature varies from 19°C to 26°C, so grit your teeth and enjoy!
Picnics are allowed on the large green lawn (though you must use picnic blanket!), and there is also a restaurant on-site (Le Dandy – chemin d’Arvillon, 74920, Combloux / tel: +33 (0)4 50 90 17 50).
There is a small roundabout on site and just above the lake is the adventure playground, one of our favourite playgrounds (see the MBFF’s post Combloux Playgrounds) au Pays du Mont-Blanc.
- there is a short walk with information panels all the way around the lake (perfect for buggy walks/baby snoozes!);
- swimming shorts are NO LONGER allowed for swimming;
- dogs are NOT permitted;
- WC with changing tables and a place to warm baby food;
- swimming lessons on request (3+ years);
- there are often yoga sessions/pilates/Tai Chi at the Plan d’Eau Biotope (see Combloux Tourist Office Agenda);
- arm-bands can be rented (deposit of 5€);
- shade – there isn’t much in the way of shade at the Plan d’Eau Biotope, but you can rent out parasols (5€, plus deposit) at the entrance / some people bring their own little tent shelters to keep small babies and young children in the shade.
Other family activities nearby in Combloux
market – Combloux’s weekly market takes place on Wednesday mornings / address: 49, chemin des Passerands, 74920, Combloux;
concerts & summer activities – during the summertime, there are plentiful concerts and family activities on offer around the Plan d’Eau Biotope (yoga, pilates, Tai Chi . . .) and at Plan-Perret (the stage area next to the lake): La Fête de la Musique, La Fête Nationale (14 juillet), le Festival Baroque, BBQs, family sports & games . . . the softplay is often set up for these events / see Combloux Tourisme for more information;
sports events – some big sports events take place in and around the Plan d’Eau Biotope: La Comblorane (running, hiking, mini-trail for children / 16th & 17th June 2018), the MB Race (VTT event on 7th & 8th July 2018, with events for children);
boulder hopping – there are some great boulders right next to the Plan d’Eau Biotope! / there is also a volleyball court;
pumptrack & skatepark – at Louparc (just next to the school), there is a fabulous pumptrack, skatepark, playground and terrain multisport a short walk from the Plan d’Eau Biotope (so pack your bikes, skateboards, scooters and balls!);
tennis courts – Combloux’s three public tennis courts are located right next to the Plan d’Eau Biotope / there are stages offered during the summer months, see here / address: plan Perret, route de Sallanches / reservations: 06 80 25 33 40;
walks – there are some lovely family-friendly walks accessible in Combloux from the Plan d’Eau Biotope:
- «Balade 100% bio» loop around the Plan d’Eau Biotope – duration: 30mins / possible with cross-country buggies / see here for more details;
- «Sur Les Traces des Graniteurs» – on the trail of the old granite workers; 1h30 / this hike can also be done as a guided visit / see here for more details;
- «Balade Panoramique de Combloux» – up to pretty village of Ormaret, and the “sites remarquables de Combloux” / duration: 2 hours / see here for more details;
- «Petite balade sur le Sentier Baroque» – duration: 1h30 / see here for more details;
see Combloux Tourisme website for some more ideas for family walks . . .
2018 season – from 16th June to 2nd September, every day from 11h to 19h;
*good to know – the entrance to the Plan d’Eau Biotope is limited to 700 entries per day, to enable the plants to do their work, keeping the water clean! The opening hours are subject to change in the event of bad weather, or for cleaning purposes (the lake sometimes needs a rest!)*
children (5-14 years): 4€;
children under 5 years: FREE!
adult season card: 50€ / child season card: 40€;
family card (12 entrances): 40€ (valid only for one summer season);
*good to know – from 17h (if the lake is not at full capacity): 3€ for adults and 2,40€ for children*
how to buy your entrance:
- online – at www.combloux.com (until 10h on the day of entry), from 2nd July 2018;
- at the Tourist Office in Combloux from 9h to 10h30;
- or directly at the Plan d’Eau Biotope from 11h onwards on entry day. MBFF always tries to get to the Plan d’Eau Biotope at about 10h30, to find a parking spot and to be first in line!
Plan d’Eau Biotope
Tel: +33 (0)4 50 58 60 32
Website: Combloux Tourisme