[ autumn 2021: a new plan d’eau is to take the place of the old one, with a chantier started already! The old plan d’eau was 20 years old, and had received 280 000 swimmers over the years! The new structure will have a lake of 1750m² (max depth 2.60 m), with an area dedicated to sports swimming (4 lanes) ]
A visit to the 💦 Plan d’Eau Biotope in Combloux makes for a wonderful day of swimming and lazing, with 🏔 a majestic view of the Mont-Blanc Massif as a backdrop!
Combloux boasts the 💦 first ecological mountain lake in France, in the most superb setting. The lake was created for swimming and has more than 🌱 10 000 aquatic plants filtering the water in order to purify it; this ensures an optimal water quality, without the use of chemicals or chlorine. Naturally heated by the ☀️ sun, the water temperature varies from 19°C to 26°C, so grit your teeth and enjoy! There is also a pretty 💦 waterfall feature, and with a backdrop of 🏔 Mont-Blanc, this is one of the prettiest spots 🏔 au Pays du Mont-Blanc!
More information about the lake
- 🌳 shade – there isn’t much in the way of shade at the 💦 Plan d’Eau Biotope, but you can ⛱ rent out parasols (5€, plus deposit) at the entrance / some people bring their own little tent shelters to keep small babies and young children in the shade;
- ❌ swimming shorts are NO LONGER allowed for swimming; boys and men must wear a slip;
- 🐶❌ dogs are NOT permitted;
- 🚾 WC with changing tables and a place to warm baby food;
- 🏊♂️ swimming lessons on request (3+ years);
- 🧘♂️ there are often yoga sessions / pilates / Tai Chi at the 💦 Plan d’Eau Biotope (see Combloux Tourist Office agenda);
- arm-bands can be rented (deposit of 5€);
- 🏃♀️ there is a short walk with information panels all the way around the lake (perfect for buggy walks & baby snoozes!) / see below for more information;
🍏 Picnics are allowed on the large green lawn (though you must use a picnic blanket!), and there is also a restaurant on-site: Le Dandy (address: chemin d’Arvillon, 74920, Combloux / tel: +33 (0)4 50 90 17 50). You are also a short walk from the centre of town, where you will find plenty more restaurants and boulangeries!
There is a small roundabout on site, and just above the lake is the adventure playground, one of our favourite playgrounds (see MBFF’s article 🏔 Combloux Playgrounds au Pays du Mont-Blanc).
🛴 Louparc, pumptrack & skatepark and city-stade – a short walk from the 💦 Plan d’Eau Biotope, you’ll find a playground, a parcours freestyle, a skatepark & a city-stade (just next to the school), so be sure to pack your bikes, skateboards, scooters and balls! There is also a small playground next to the church, suitable for small children.
Other family activities nearby in Combloux
🍏 market – Combloux’s weekly market takes place on Wednesday mornings / address: 49, chemin des Passerands, 74920, Combloux;
🎶 concerts & summer activities – during the summertime, there are plentiful concerts and family activities on offer around the 💦 Plan d’Eau Biotope (yoga, pilates, Tai Chi . . .) and at Plan-Perret (the stage area next to the lake): 🎵 La Fête de la Musique, 🇫🇷 La Fête Nationale (14 juillet), 🎵 Le Festival Baroque, BBQs, family sports & games . . . the Combloux softplay La Tanière de Tilou is often set up for these events / see Combloux Tourisme for more information;
🧗♂️ boulder hopping – there are some great boulders right next to the 💦 Plan d’Eau Biotope! / there is also 🏐 a volleyball court nearby;
🏃♀️ sports events – some big sports events take place in and around the 💦 Plan d’Eau Biotope:
- 🏃♂️ La Comblorane (running, hiking, mini-trail and obstacle course for children / weekend 12th & 13th June 2021 / see website);
- 🚲 MB Race (VTT event from 16th until 18th July 2021, with events for children – MB KIDS on Saturday 17th July 2021 (7 to 14 year olds / see here) and MB Draisienne on Sunday 18th July 2021 (for 2 to 6 year olds / see here);
🎾 tennis courts – Combloux’s three public tennis courts are located right next to the 💦 Plan d’Eau Biotope / there are stages offered during the summer months, see here / address: Plan Perret, route de Sallanches / reservations: 06 80 25 33 40;
🏃♀️ walks – there are some lovely family-friendly walks accessible in Combloux from the 💦 Plan d’Eau Biotope:
- 🌿 « Balade 100% bio » loop around the 💦 Plan d’Eau Biotope – duration: 30mins / possible with cross-country buggies / see here for more details;
- 🧗♂️ « Sur les traces des Graniteurs » – a fabulous, informative walk on the trail of the old granite workers; 1h30 / this hike can also be done as a guided visit / see MBFF article here for more details;
- 🏚 « Balade Panoramique de Combloux » – up to the pretty village of Ormaret, and the ” sites remarquables de Combloux ” / duration: 2 hours / see here for more details;
- ⛪️ « Petite balade sur le Sentier Baroque » – duration: 1h30 / see here for more details;
[ ⇒ see Combloux Tourisme website for some more ideas for family walks ]
🗓 opening hours 2021 season – from 12th June until 29th August 2021, every day from 11h to 19h (subject to change);
[ good to know – the entrance to the 💦 Plan d’Eau Biotope is limited to 700 entries per day, to enable the 🌱 plants to do their work, keeping the water clean! The opening hours are subject to change in the event of bad weather, or for cleaning purposes (the lake sometimes needs a rest!) ]
price: adults: 5€ / children (5-14 years): 4€ / children under 5 years: FREE!
adult season card: 50€ / child season card: 40€;
family card (12 entrances): 50€ (valid only for one summer season);
[ good to know – from 17h (if the lake is not at full capacity): 3€ for adults and 2,40€ for children ]
🎟 how to buy your entrance:
- 🎟 online – at www.combloux.com (until 10h on the day of entry), from 2nd July 2018;
- 🎟 at the Tourist Office in Combloux from 9h to 10h30;
- 🎟 or directly at the 💦 Plan d’Eau Biotope from 11h onwards on entry day (MBFF always tries to get to the 💦 Plan d’Eau Biotope at about 10h30, to find a parking spot and to be first in line!);
🅿️ parking: just above the Plan d’Eau, in Parking des Cristaux, follow signs at entrance to Combloux;
address: Plan d'Eau Biotope, Plan-Perret, 74920, Combloux; tel: +33 (0)4 50 58 60 32; website: Combloux Tourisme