Set in the historic 14th century Château des Rubins, just behind the Eglise Saint-Jacques in Sallanches, the Centre de la Nature Montagnarde is a museum dedicated to the Alps.
Set across 5 floors, an interactive journey transports visitors rom glaciology and geology, to some close encounters with the resident taxidermy (a wolf, a lynx and a bear, among others!). As well as panels explaining the different exhibits, there are films to watch, a large interactive screen at the entrance . . . a visit to the museum is a full sensory and tactile journey!
A family visit to the Centre de la Nature Montagnarde
- buggies – the lift goes as far as the 3rd floor, and after that buggies are not permitted; it is therefore useful to have a baby-carrier!
- photos with the resident bear – you can take a photo with the resident brown bear and then send the photo to yourself!
- gift shop – on the ground floor, at the entrance, there is a lovely gift shop;
- library – there is a library on the first floor, with magazines, books, globes . . . a great place for a quiet moment!
- family nature outings – the Centre de la Nature Montagnarde offers lots of other activities in nature for the whole family, throughout the year: snow-shoeing, astronomy . . .
Les P’tits Experts de la Nature workshops for children
During the school holidays, on Wednesday afternoons, there are workshops on offer for children (Les P’tits Experts de la Nature) / price: 6€ / outdoor and indoor workshops on offer / see the museum’s website or MBFF post for more details.
Les mardis: raquette en famille and other nature outings
Over the winter season, the Centre de la Nature Montagnarde organises lots of fantastic outings – Les mardis: raquette en famille on Tuesday afternoons (different locations, depending on snow cover) and Sortie nocturne en raquette / price: 10€ for children and 15€ for adults / see agenda for more details.
Renovations from autumn 2018!
The Centre de la Nature Montagnarde will be closing its doors for extensive renovations, from autumn 2018 (renovation project predicted to last about 1.5 years). During the closure, school projects will be housed in the old bibliothèque facilities.
1st June to 30th September: Monday to Saturday 10h to 12h30 / 14h to 18h30; Sundays 14h to 18h;
1st October to 31st May: Wednesday to Saturday 14h to 18h;
School Holidays: Monday to Saturday 10h to 12h / 14h to 18h;
National Holidays: 14h to 18h (except 25 December, 1st January and 1st May);
Adults (> 16 ans): 7€;
Children (6 to 16 ans): 4,50€;
Families: (2 adults and 2 children): 20€;
Château des Rubins
105 montée des Rubins
Tel: +33 (0)4 50 58 32 13
Parking: there is free parking in the Parking Château des Rubins/du Lévant
*good to know: the museum is located a short walk from the new Médiathèque Ange Abrate, the church playground and Sallanches’ Saturday market, so a day can be planned around this*