*NB Cordon ski station is now shut for the 2017/2018 ski season*
The village of Cordon is known as Le Balcon du Mont-Blanc because of its magnificent views of Mont-Blanc, and it has a small, family-friendly ski station with 11km of ski pistes. A favourite ski station for the locals, it is perfect for tiny skiers and Beginners, as well as having a good selection of pistes for the more experienced skier.
Cordon ski area will be opening this year on the weekend of 16th & 17th December 2107, and then full-time from Saturday 23rd December.
Ski Pass Options
One of the reasons that Cordon is so attractive for families is that it offers very fair prices, with the option of skiing just a morning (from 9h to 12h30) or afternoon (from midday) from 14€ for adults (18€ for the whole day!) Children under the age of 5 ski for FREE!
Cordon is also linked up to Portes du Mont-Blanc (Megève Jaillet, Combloux, la Giettaz) for families wanting more scope.
See here for current prices.
Beginner & Family Skiing
Cordon is hugely attractive for families as it is:
- very fairly priced, especially if you want to opt for a shorter ski day (morning/afternoon options);
- it has plenty of options for young/Beginner skiers with a special Domaine Débutant, with «le télé-corde des lutins» (drag-lift);
- there are 6 téléskis within the domaine skiable: 5 red pistes, 3 blue pistes and one green piste;
- there are regular animations on the pistes on Wednesdays and during the school holidays / check Cordon Tourisme agenda;
- there is a free navette from the centre of Cordon up to the pistes;
- there are plenty of snow-shoe routes leaving from the ski area; an ideal activity for non-skiers in your group;
Though the ski station is small, there are several red pistes for the more advanced skier!
There is a small sledging area at the domaine skiable de Cordon, which is open from the end of December until 23rd March 2018 (snow conditions permitting).
At the Chalet d’Accueil Le Dandry, there is a terrace hors sacs with picnic tables and a vending machine for snacks/drinks . . .
Or, if you need to escape from the cold, then there are also some lovely restaurants on the pistes or in proximity . . . Le Darbelin (Chez Mireille, ), Chez Alcide, le Refuge, l’Alpage de l’Herney, the Chalet Hôtel des Rhodos . . .
ESF Cordon/Ski Lessons
Cordon offers lots of possibilities for ski lessons (group lessons, private lessons), including the new Groupe ski découverte, for children 5+ years – children with a ski level of 3* and above can enjoy ski activities twice a week (2h each session) / see here for more details.
For more information about ski lessons with ESF Cordon, see here;
There are lots of great snow-shoeing circuits leaving from Cordon ski station (8 different routes lasting from one to five hours, taking you through forests and across fields). See here for some suggestions. You can pick up a free leaflet detailing snow-shoe circuits from Cordon Tourisme.
You have two parking options at Cordon:
- Le Dandry – direct access to the caisses, to the Beginner’s ski area, and to ESF RDV point;
- La Charbonnière – this car park is nearer Cordon Village (turn right at the Carrefour du Verney), and is for access directly onto the pistes for skiers . . . skiers take the téleski de Frébouge (this can be accessed without a pass, and then ski passes can then be bought at the Dandry;
- Caisse Principale (in season): +33 (0)4 50 58 14 21 04 50 58 01 57 (Cordon Tourisme);
- Cordon Tourisme: +33 (0)4 50 58 01 57 ;