The village of Cordon is known as 🗻 le Balcon du Mont-Blanc because of its magnificent views of 🗻 Mont-Blanc, and it has a small, family-friendly ski station with 11km of ski pistes. A favourite ⛷ ski station for the locals, it is perfect for tiny skiers and Beginners, as well as having a good selection of pistes for the more experienced skier.
⛷ Cordon ski area normally opens towards the end of December, ❄️ snow permitting.
Ski Pass Options
One of the reasons that Cordon is so attractive for families is that it offers very fair prices, with the option of skiing just a morning (from 9h to 13h) or afternoon (from midday) from 17,50€ for adults (20,50€ for the whole day!). Children under the age of 5 ski for FREE!
Cordon is also part of the ⛷ Portes du Mont-Blanc ski zone (Megève Jaillet, Combloux, la Giettaz) for families wanting more scope (NB – the ski areas are not connected directly).
[ ⇒ see here for current prices ]
Beginner & Family Skiing
Cordon is hugely attractive for families as it is:
- very fairly priced, especially if you want to opt for a shorter ski day (morning or afternoon options);
- it has plenty of options for young / Beginner skiers with a special Domaine Débutant, with « le télé-corde des lutins » (drag-lift);
- there are 6 téléskis within the domaine skiable, serving 9 pistes: 5 red pistes, 3 blue pistes and 1 green piste;
- there are regular animations on the pistes on Wednesdays and during the school holidays; check Cordon Tourisme agenda / Sunday 20th January: Neige en Fête, with lots of free activities for the whole family!
- there is a free navette from the centre of Cordon up to the pistes;
- there are plenty of snow-shoe routes leaving from the ski area; an ideal activity for non-skiers in your group;
The Herney is a lovely blue piste, that takes you through the forest at one point . . .
Intermediate & Advanced Skiing
Though ⛷ Cordon ski station is small, there are several red pistes for the more advanced skier!
There is a small sledging area at the domaine skiable de Cordon, which is open from the end of December until the end of March (snow conditions permitting).
At the Chalet d’Accueil Le Dandry, there is a terrace hors sacs with picnic tables and a vending machine for snacks and drinks . . .
You’ll also find this picnic option on the Converses piste :
Or, if you need to escape from the cold, then there are also some lovely restaurants on the pistes or in proximity . . .
- 🥗 Le Darbelin (Chez Mireille);
- 🥗 Chez Alcide;
- 🥗 le Refuge;
- 🥗 l’Alpage de l’Herney – shut for the winter season;
- the 🥗 Chalet Hôtel des Rhodos . . .
ESF Cordon & Ski Lessons
Cordon offers lots of possibilities for ⛷ ski lessons (group lessons, private lessons) / ⇒ see here for more details.
Ski de rando
You have the Le Chanté route (up to 1550m), with two different starting options, in Cordon . . .
⇒ see here for more details (and you can pick up the FREE ski rando guide from the tourist office):
There are lots of ❄️ great snow-shoeing circuits leaving from Cordon ski station (8 different routes lasting from one to five hours, taking you through forests and across fields, with views of Mont-Blanc, les Fiz and les Aravis).
Le plateau des Bénés – one of the most beautiful snow-shoe routes in Cordon is up to the Plateau des Bénés. The tough 2h ascent will reward you with stunning views. You can walk further to the Cabane du Petit-Pâtre . . . (note: this snow-shoe route should only be undertaken with clear weather! With poor visibility you could easily get lost);
You have 🅿️ two parking options at Cordon:
- 🅿️ Le Dandry – direct access to the Caisses, to the Beginner’s ski area, and to ESF RDV point;
- 🅿️ La Charbonnière – this car park is nearer to Cordon Village (turn right at the carrefour du Verney), and is for access directly onto the pistes for skiers (depending on snow cover) . . . skiers take the téleski de Frébouge (this can be accessed without a pass, and then ski passes can then be bought at the Dandry);
- Caisse Principale (in season): +33 (0)4 50 58 14 21 or 04 50 58 01 57 (Cordon Tourisme);
- Cordon Tourisme: +33 (0)4 50 58 01 57;