While the children are young and learning how to ski, or if you have beginner skiers in your group, then Plaine Joux is the ideal ski station for multiple reasons:
- it’s a small, family-oriented ski resort;
- there are 12km of wide, gentle, sunny pistes (green, blue and red) with stunning views of the Mont Blanc Massif;
- this is an affordable ski resort, with different ski passes available for your different needs (2 hours, 4 hours, day pass, multi-day pass, seasonal pass . . . );
- there is l‘Espace Lutins for small children;
- there are 6 drag-lifts (no cable-cars, bubble-lifts or chair-lifts);
- there is a designated sledging/snow-tubing area;
- there are some great walks/snow-shoe routes through the woods for non-skiers or for adults to enjoy while the little ones have their ski lessons;
- there are lovely restaurants with sunny terraces and a view of the Mont Blanc Massif for a hot chocolate, snack or lunch;
- there is a Salle Hors-Sacs for indoor picnics, for when it starts snowing or gets too cold to be al fresco;
- there are ski shops at hand for when you leave gloves/sunglasses/snowboots at home (yes, we have done this on several occasions!);
- there is easy and FREE parking; ideal when you need to make a hasty exit for toddler naps!
- there is the Maison de la Réserve Naturelle de Passy;
- there are lots of “Animations” for the children, throughout the ski season: Santa’s arrival, the yearly Fête des Lutins, weekly themed walks . . . See here for the 2016/2017 Programmes des Animations for Passy Plaine-Joux.
*Plaine-Joux Ski Station is open from mid-December to mid-March, depending on the snow conditions.*
Beginner and Nursery Skiing
L’Espace Lutins – this is a play area for small children and their families. It is open every day (except Mondays) until mid March, from 11h-16h45. It consists of:
- La Maison des Lutins – a wooden house, ideal to warm up, to have a snack or to play games;
- Ski Area – a designated ski area for children and accompanying adults, with a magic carpet;
- Sledging Area – a designated sledging area, to sledge safely;
- Snow play area – to play in the snow, make snowmen, play on the soft-play toys etc . . .;
- Piou Piou ski lessons – take place in this area;
*You will need to buy a pass to access this area!*
Intermediate and Advanced Skiing
Plaine-Joux is very much a small, friendly family resort; you will find red pistes, but Advanced skiiers and thrill seekers might need to go further afield!
Ecole de Ski Français (ESF Passy) – private or group lessons can be booked for children and adults alike (skiing, snowboarding, cross-country-skiing, télémarking).
Club Piou Piou – lessons are available for children from 3-5 years, in the well-equipped Espace Lutins.
Tel: +33(0)4 50 58 83 89
There are plenty of lovely places to eat at Plaine-Joux and sitting at one of the sunny terraces, relaxing and admiring the view is one of the reasons that parents sign up their children for lessons here! There is a small refuge on the pistes called the Refuge Barmus, serving small snacks; great for a break or to keep an eye on the little ones!
Snow-shoeing & walking routes
If sitting at one of the sunny terraces doesn’t appeal, why not go for a short snow-shoe or hike while the little ones are having their ski lessons?
Maison de la Réserve Naturelle de Passy
Right behind the ticket and ESF offices is the Maison de la Réserve Naturelle de Passy, an area to learn about the area, its history, flora and fauna and Alpine mountains. Throughout the year, there are nature activities organised for children, themed outings and events.
321, chemin des Parchets
Passy Plaine Joux
Tel: +33(0)4 50 58 83 89